The exciting new STEPPENDOOM project from New York City and London-based Italian-Swiss audio engineer, sound designer, composer, and multi-instrumentalist Marc Urselli sees the producer inviting and uniting eminent musicians from the doom metal genre and legendary indigenous singers employing ancient throat signing traditions from around the globe.
Among many others, the renowned artists who answered three-time Grammy Award winner Marc Urselli's call include Matt Pike (SLEEP, HIGH ON FIRE), Aaron Aedy (PARADISE LOST), Steve Von Till (NEUROSIS), Christopher Juul (HEILUNG), Dave Chandler (SAINT VITUS), and Scott "Wino" Weinrich (THE OBSESSED) from the metal side, as well as masters of throat signing such as Alash Ensemble, Batzorig Vaanchig "Zorigoo", HUUN-HUUR-TU, Tanya Tagaq, Albert Kuvezin (YAT-KHA), and Alexey Tegin.
The ancient art of throat singing carries on in the grasslands, tundras, and hearts of the people living in and with nature. Heavy metal was born in England's industrial heartlands to the pounding of steel hammers and the mechanised mining of coal. Yet both share a deep desire for freedom and human dignity.
The common literary trope to describe a fusion of music from seemingly quite different genres and different peoples under headlines announcing 'a clash of styles' or 'when worlds collide' obviously does not apply to Marc Urselli's STEPPENDOOM. This celebration of artistic unity rather leans itself to be summarised by the phrase 'when worlds unite".
Marc Urselli's STEPPENDOOM demands to be listened to with non-prejudiced ears and an open mind. While the album and its songs may require some time to properly absorb, they ultimately reveal a stunning beauty that sees eagles soar over cities, winds from the steppes awakening hearts and minds, ice turning to arctic animals, and many other miracles. Ancient magic is joined to modern forces here, creating something revolutionary and new that contains one of the oldest forms of human expressions: the cry for freedom!
1. Etugen Eke & Od Ana feat. Matt Pike (Sleep, High on Fire) & Batzorig Vaanchig "Zorigoo"
2. Garuda Khuresh feat. Aaron Aedy (Paradise Lost) & Huun-Huur-Tu
3. Agloolik Igaluk feat. Johannes Persson (Cult of Luna) & Tanya Tagaq
4. Tamag & Ocmah feat. Steve Von Till (Neurosis) & Albert Kuvezin (Yat-Kha)
5. Imdugud in Shambhala feat. Massimo Pupillo (Zu) & Alash Ensemble
6. Peri to Ela Guren feat. Trey Spruance (Secret Chiefs 3, Mr. Bungle) & Erdenebat Baatar (Erka)
Bonus tracks (artbook and box only):
7. Sedna & Eliduc feat. Lori S. (Acid King), Utelo, Karen Panigoniak & Maria Illungiayok
8. A-dkar Theg Pa feat. Dave Chandler (Saint Vitus), Anders Møller (Ulver), Norman Westberg (Swans), Scott "Wino" Weinrich (The Obsessed) & Alexey Tegin (Phurpa)
Complete edition boxed set with:
- Gatefold LP with printed insert, poly-lined inner sleeve - 500 units on White + Müritzblau marble vinyl, art book with extended 8-song CD, Bonus limited edition 7inch, Three mini posters